Greg et al, hello!
I am just taking a stab at this, but there are Mongol ancestors in
European royalty (i.e. the Windsors). This comes via Russia; I have seen
the charts, but don't recall precisely how it gets there. Of course, this
means descent from various Khans, not lowly Mongols.

>I know I have seen this phrase ("the Mongol in our midst") before,
>and I would bet it has to do with the racist rhetoric of that branch
>of modern anthropology that associated more "primitive" cultures with
>evolutionary inferiority and prattled about degeneration, but I
>can't find the references anywhere. Can anyone refresh my memory?
>Who popularized the phrase "the Mongol in our midst"?
>
>Thanks in advance,
>
>Greg

Alexander Justice * Redlands, California, USA
[log in to unmask] * http://www.empirenet.com/~jahvah/

"It's just tormenting the people with trivia!!!"
--Napoleon I on the metric system

Date:         Wed, 29 Nov 95 08:42:48 MST
Sender:       "T. S. Eliot Discussion forum." <[log in to unmask]>
From:         "Peter Quigley" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re[2]: Query: "The Mongol in our midst"

I need to repeat a question I made a while ago if I may.

I am interested in any work that has been done on the Waste Land, and
environmentalism, and/or anthropocentrism. The regeneration myth seems to be
totally human driven in Eliot, that is the land depends on man not the other way
around.