As a long time resident of a coastal town, I have lived through several hurricanes. My grandfather was a cabin boy aboard a Canadian schooner. He eventually became a captain. I also spent one summer in St. Lucia. Of course there was a hurricane...

I helped restore a woman's community building that had been cobbled together by WWII GI's following a major blow in Chatham. Parts of churches, granite chunks and building parts were reclaimed from the harbors.

It is my hope that mother nature reclaims all those barrier beaches and removes every bridge to them.

Roosevelt sent veterans of the Great War down to the keys to build bridges. It was a way of employing homeless men during the depression. Hundreds died in an 18 foot storm surge in 1939.

We must respect the barriers and stop building and driving on the beaches. My town was established in 1630. Native Americans never built near harbors or beaches understanding that the mouths of all rivers must move. All their middens are well away. Had we listened, the sea level rise that is claiming every beach wouldn't be an immediate threat.

My dearest "Momma" is 84 and lives above Gulfport, MS. She understands also. I pray for her.

Maybe Ida, in her wrath, will teach both the insurers and the government some wisdom. And having money doesn't make you smart.

As they say, the beaches are "for the birds". Critically important!

I'm also confident that this time of year the birds will survive. On Cape Cod, they react well before people making their escape and or hunkering down. See a seagull head inland you better button down. Being a major flyway, their behavior seemed only temporarily askew when we were hit by 119 mph (Air Force anemometer broke) and the Air Force water tower I drove by every morning twisted and blew over.

Hoping folks survive and learn to evacuate.

Hubris regarding science is already killing us.

Catherine Paris
Ozark County