Since earlier posts gave wonderful details on birding sites in the Lower Rio grande valley of Texas, I wanted to share a quick note or two for anyone planning to go there in the near-term.
My wife and I just returned from the area. We visited from February 21-24. All areas received such damage from cold that there was little greenery or flowers. Fish kill was heavy in bays. Birding was so-so compared to our previous visits. There were no butterflies. I have no idea how long recovery will take. Just wanted to pass this along. Anyone planning a trip soon may want to postpone for awhile to maximize the experience.

Barry Jones
Harrisonville