On Sunday I found two dead Great Blue Herons in Forest Park in St. Louis. They were lying close together in the waterway just downstream from the Franz Segal statue, where there has been some open water during the cold spell. I had been seeing two birds in that same area a couple of times last week, as late as Thursday, always late in the day, after sunset. The previous weekend I had counted nine GBHEs in the park. On Sunday I found only five live ones.

Rad Widmer
St. Louis