I have a pair of Carolina Wrens here, too. They have been feeding on the mealworm and suit cakes that I put out in my front garden. They appear to be a mated pair. In addition to feeding together on the suit cake they call to each other and display to each other. Fun. I hope they stick around to nest. I had a pair nest somewhere around my house last summer. It was fun to watch them rushing around and feeding their chicks in the garden.

I also have a very aggressive robin who hangs out in the back garden. Since the cold snap started and snow has been blanketing the ground it has been feeding on the shellless mix of sunflower seeds, cracked corn and peanuts I have been spreading on the ground. It puts on a display of spreading its tail and chasing all of the other birds away while it is feeding. I have particularly appreciated that it has even chased away groups of starlings. I just wish I could train it to chase the starlings and leave the other birds alone.

I also enjoyed the excitement of watching a Cooper’s Hawk ambushing a starling under the feeder and flying off to feed on its lunch. It is amazing how fast they are. It was all over in less than 15 seconds!

Mark Gutchen
Columbia, Missouri