Gail and I did a bit of wandering around Pike and Lincoln Counties Saturday afternoon. The open water below the Clarksville Lock and Dam was in stark contrast to the ice-covered Mississippi above it. We counted 37 Bald Eagles taking advantage of the easy fishing, and 510 Common Mergansers.

https://ebird.org/checklist/S82049089

Clarence Cannon NWR was exceptionally quiet. All of the pools were frozen, but we had nice looks at Northern Harriers and American Tree Sparrows, and a fleeting glimpse of a coyote trotting across the snowy marsh.

https://ebird.org/checklist/S82049377

BK Leach CA was our final stop and it certainly didn't disappoint. We really enjoyed watching a flock of 200 or so Lapland Longspurs in the snowy field west of Marre Road. We had nine species of Sparrow, including a beautiful male Eastern Towhee doing the two-step in the leaf debris. A Rough-legged Hawk that Gail had spotted a few days earlier was still working the field northeast of the old headquarters. And it's hard to beat Short-eared Owls flying low over Norton Woods Road as the setting sun fills the sky with a warm pink glow.

https://ebird.org/checklist/S82049712

Enjoy every bird-

Diane Bricmont
STL CO