I have a pair of Red-shouldered Hawks residing on my property. During this cold snap and with the lingering snow cover, at least one of the pair has started foraging attempts on the birds beneath my feeders. Yesterday, I saw at least eight attempts, two of which were successful. I’ve seen at least that many attempts this afternoon (six while uploading the linked video and typing this email).  The success rate is not especially high. The birds on the ground have relatively little concern. They return to feeding as soon as the RSHA has made its attempt.

I captured a little bit of video of the RSHA eating it’s successful catch. I think it was a Dark-eyed Junco but I’m not sure.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/111291773@N05/50963773961 <https://www.flickr.com/photos/111291773@N05/50963773961>

Mike Taylor
Bollinger County