The sun peaked out and it was a balmy 5 degrees when I donned the long johns and 20 layers of clothing and headed out the door for some Bald Eagle action up the river road in Grafton.

Most of the river is frozen with a few small open areas scattered along the river road.

Until today I never noticed that Bald Eagles will eat on the wing! I guess when they are catching shad sized fish it makes sense to swallow them whole and keep fishing. Several fish got away unscathed while many headless fish bodies ended up back in the drink with the head still clutched in the Eagle's Talons. It seemed like a lot of effort on the part of the Eagles with little payoff.

When I pulled in the driveway I got a winter storm warning alert. With the impending snow storm and the arctic air I'm happy I had an opportunity to get out of the house for a little while.

Album here if you care to see a bunch of Bald Eagles fishing:

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmUhQWuj

Lisa Saffell, St. Louis County