Below the Webb City water treatment plant with its two pools is a new wetlands in progress now and for the last few years from reclaimed mining lands.  At the water treatment pools I saw only Mallards, shovelers, a few gadwall and one lone coot, all in the north pool.  At the wetlands I saw numerous Mallards, three snipe, gadwall, numerous coots, a few green-winged teal, a cormorant, nine pelicans and the two gulls.  One flew off but the other circled and landed.  I saw no dark mark on the head except the eye.  Also one bald Eagle sat in a tree overlooking the north pool of water treatment plant.  Another sat in a tree overlooking the northernmost wetland pond. For years if we wanted to see waterfowl and shorebirds from Neosho/Joplin area, we had to drive to Four Rivers and Schell-Osage.  Now and into the future, it should be a lot closer, unless there aren’t shallow areas and mudflats by these wetlands.  But the wetlands are developing nicely. Ronda (Sherrill) Brown.

Sent from my iPhone