During my run tonight through the rural countryside of western Cole Co., there came the cadence and call of what could have been descried as a Black Rail call . . . from within the woods at that.  This gave me reason to pause the watch and my run to allow my breathing to settle and to try to make sense of what I just heard.  It was calling in repeat succession, higher pitched than what I've studied and heard in the field from Black Rails.

That dang little Carolina Chickadee must have had a cold or laryngitis or something, but it sure was calling "kiki-drrrr" like a champ.  It's funny, on three occasions, I've also heard chickadees that sound very close to a Rock Wren as well.  Still makes me stop in my tracks to investigate when I hear it.  I suppose I've never thought of chickadees as being "mimics" before.  Ha-ha!

Keep those ears open and investigate the oddities!  You never know; it may be the real deal!

Bird on!

Chris Barrigar

Cole Co.
Russellville, MO