When I first started birding at Bradford Farm, I was told to stay on the graveled roads.  I think this still applies, but it has been quite a few years since I 1st birded at Bradford Farm.
Kathleen Anderson, Columbia

From: "Edge Wade" <[log in to unmask]>
To: "mobirds" <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Wednesday, January 20, 2021 6:53:42 PM
Subject: Re: Northern shrike

Do look at the map that accompanies the site description Susan directed you to.  You can enter Bradford Farm on the east off Rangeline Rd. (the main entrance), or on the west at a gate off Ben Williams Rd.  The shrike is most often seen in the vicinity of the lake near Ben Williams Rd., usually referred to by birders as the west lake.

It helps to know NSHR behavior.  Unlike Loggerheads, it often bobs its tail.  Frequently NSHRs sit in the uppermost branches of a tree, but this one often sits lower--like 9 o'clock in a tree.  Cruise the main east/west road watching the side with the lake, scanning trees carefully.  Sometimes it is seen from Vemer's Ford Rd., usually within 300 yards of the intersection with Ben Williams.

And, to address Lisa's concern as to where she can drive, the main road and two-tracks going off from it are open to the public.  The two-track about halfway along that road that heads north leads to the brush pile.  St. Louisans may not be excited by a Eurasian Tree Sparrow, but finding one for your Boone Co. list can be challenging.

And, just for the fun of it, note that the abbreviation for Northern Shrike differs from the general rule.  That is because both Northern Shrike and Northern Shoveler would be NOSH.  So, it is NSHR for the shrike and NSHO for the Northern Shoveler.

Bodacious birding!
Edge Wade
Columbia, MO