After checking weekly now for months a Loggerhead Shrike returned to our road, due east of KC Buffalo Co.  on Prospect just south of 203 rd on power lines east side overlooking the desimated hay prairie now corn or soy every year.
The 25 or more Hooded Mergansers, Mallards, single Great Blue Heron and Kingfisher another 2/10 miles south have moved on now that the ponds finally have  iced over.
Last week, over several days had nice looks at a "Harlans" jamaicensis buteo on the square mile north and east of Shrike sighting today. Chocalate brown throughout from below with almost no contrast in "red" of dorsal tail and brown back and coverts.
Good numbers of bluebirds, White-throated Sparrows on field edges along with juncos and Song Sparrows.
A single sighting of a "Kriders" mostly white headed and unmarked breast jamacensis buteo S. on Holmes Road at about 223rd St. this week too.

Tom Martin
Cass County MO

Sent from AT&T Yahoo Mail on Android