Forest Park Forever is conducting prescribed burns today on much of the prairie and savannah areas in Forest Park. This morning burning was occurring from the Victorian Bridge all the way to the east end of Steinberg prairie. It looked like they also plan to burn on the south side of the waterway near Council Circle and possibly Hidden Creek Savannah. These are all excellent bird habitats so it will be interesting to see how the burns affect the migrant and wintering birds.

Rusty Blackbird numbers continue to increase -- after a few weeks of seeing just a few, this morning I counted 23 on the mudflats at the hatchery marsh. There was also a late, very bright yellow Pine Warbler in the cypress trees on the west side of the waterway southwest (across the bridge) from the Franz Seigel statue. I had likely seen this same bird in the same location on Saturday the 14'th but hadn't got a good enough look for a positive id.

Rad Widmer
St Louis