This morning, 16 of us met at the Andy Dalton Shooting Range within Bois D’Arc CA west of Springfield. It was cold and rainy when we began. We were greeted by a flock of turkey before leaving the parking lot. A pair of Yellow-shafted Flicker was a colorful sight, shortly followed by a Blackburnian and Tennessee Warbler, which offered short views. This location is good for Field Sparrow, and today was no exception, plus several Chipping. A single Swamp Sparrow was spotted as well.

Next, we set off the shortgrass prairie areas of the Conservation Area to try to locate LeConte’s or Henslow’s Sparrows. By now the weather had brightened with sunshine and a stiff breeze. A quick stop by a known owl roost for Barn Owl got a few in the group their lifer. The group then spread out (even more than 6 ft) to flush birds from the grasses. We located a single sparrow that was a good candidate for LeConte’s, but could not be confirmed. Other highlights from the prairie were sunning reptiles: a Three-toed Box Turtle, a Yellow-bellied Racer, and a Prairie King Snake.

We ended the day with 35 species for the morning.

https://ebird.org/checklist/S74367842
https://ebird.org/checklist/S74367878

KL

MBS Fall Meeting: Sep 25 - Oct 10, 2020 Statewide Details and Online Registration