Thanks to everyone who responded. The calling phoebes are apparently not that unusual.
Marge Lumpe

Get Outlook for Android

From: Missouri Wild Bird Forum <[log in to unmask]> on behalf of [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Monday, September 21, 2020 5:39:14 AM
To: [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: Eastern Phoebes

We are near the tip of the little finger of the mitt that is Michigan, and seeing phoebes in suitable habitat daily.  So, more to head your way.
Edge Wade
Empire, MI

Sent from my iPhone

On Sep 20, 2020, at 11:26 PM, Lanny Chambers <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

We heard a phoebe calling September 11 while hiking at Don Robinson State Park. I can't tell you why it was calling this time of year. But bear in mind that individuals of a migratory species don't all disappear at once. After our local summer residents depart, each according to its personal internal clock, there are typically still others farther north that have yet to pass through.

After banding hummingbirds in my yard for over 20 years, I'm still impressed that while I only see 2 or 3 at a time max, I keep catching unbanded new arrivals well into October. There's a nearly-complete daily turnover, starting in July. But they all look and behave essentially the same. This has been a productive migration season, up to 6 new Ruby-throated Hummingbirds banded per day since mid-July, until today when no unbanded bird would enter the trap.

Lanny Chambers
Fenton, MO

I believe our "resident" phoebes left several weeks ago, and I thought they were gone for the winter.  Thursday morning I heard an Eastern Phoebe persistently shouting "phoebe" over and over--just for a short time.  I heard the calling again Saturday morning and again this morning.  I told my husband they sounded like they were looking for their families.  Is anyone else hearing phoebes now, and is it as unusual as it seems to me?

MBS Fall Meeting: Sep 25 - Oct 10, 2020 Statewide Details and Online Registration