One recommended solution is using a yellow highlighter marker to draw vertical stripes no more than 2" apart on the outside of the glass. Such markers have relatively high UV emission, easily seen by birds, though frequent reapplication is necessary. Marking on the inside does little to deter birds. Neither do stickers with more than 2" between them.

Our feeders are hung about a foot away from windows, and we keep miniblinds down, but rotated partway open. Bird strikes are nearly zero, and the few that occur aren't serious as there's not enough space between feeder and glass for a bird to reach dangerous speeds.

Lanny Chambers
Fenton, MO