On Sat, 11 Jul 2020 19:26:30 +0000, Materer, Timothy J. <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Thanks, Rick! I had missed Dickey’s latest post.  Any guesses about Eliot's “couple portmanteau”?
>
>He signs the letter by combining their names.

I'm reading the reports on the letters to find out things important to the poems; I pretty much cringe at the rest of it. As for what is reported about the combining of the names I wonder if it might have been rendered as a drawn graphic of cartoon. Maybe like a heart craved onto a tree trunk (is that more, or less, cringeworthy than the letters themselves?)

BTW, the Dickey report is at http://tseliotsociety.wildapricot.org/news