Pat,

House Finches have done the same thing to the Sedum 'Autumn Joy’ in our yard. I suspect this behavior is normal for them due to their history, they are native to the western United States and Mexico. In 1940, a couple entrepreneurs thought they could sell them as a caged songbird, aka “Hollywood finches". The sellers escaped authorities, and released the birds on Long Island, New York. The birds quickly bred and spread across most of the eastern part of the country within the next 50 years. In my oldest Peterson’s Field Guide to Eastern Birds, the map is quite different from the fourth edition, which shows the dashed line of their spread. By 1980, they were here in St. Louis. The newest edition just shows them as year round everywhere.

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/House_Finch <https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/House_Finch>

The birds must get some kind of needed nutrition from succulents, or maybe it’s a taste of ‘home'. That’s my hypothesis, for what it’s worth!

Margy Terpstra
Kirkwood, St. Louis, CO, MO
https://hummerhavenunltd.com