We have 3 nest boxes with bluebirds raising a 2nd brood.  One has already hatched eggs and the parents are busily bringing a variety of insects, which is always interesting to observe.

Two things I haven’t seen before;
(1) the male brought a large moth of some kind and the female ripped off the body, leaving the male with the wings, and then took it to the nest box.
(2) the male brought an insect and gave it to the female who ate it, which is not unexpected, but I haven’t seen it before

I’ve watched a lot of bluebirds bringing insects and they’ve always just gone to the nest box with it.  You learn something new everyday.

Photos at:
flickr.com/photos/dgetman/sets

Dan Getman, Kirksville, northeast MO