Just got back from a birding trip to the beaches of Bay St. Louis and Pass Christian, Mississippi and a boat tour of the wild Pascagoula River (the longest large-bodied free flowing river in the eastern United States).  Birding on the Gulf Coast in summer is sparser than at many other times, but we did come up with some birds: several Brown Pelicans, 2 Snowy Egrets, 8 Osprey, 10 Clapper Rails, 2 Willets, 60 Laughing Gulls, 30 Royal Terns, Forster's Tern, 12 Least Terns, 2 Loggerhead Shrikes (one on a fence 25 feet away), numerous Fish Crows, and several Boat Tailed Grackles. The crazy thing was seeing Clapper Rails on the beach, or beach area, and even at the harbor of Pass Christian in the parking lot and on the dock. They had been blown out of the marsh with the tropical storm, as I had reported a couple of weeks ago. The local report a couple of weeks ago had said Clappers were all up and down the beach, so I guess these were remaining. I dipped again this year on Oystercatcher and Black Skimmer. If anyone would like to know about the boat ride, which turned out to be private, just write me off list. Some of the access areas to the beach were closed either due to Covid? or the fact that at some places they were cleaning storm debris off the beach. But if you hunted up and down, there were access points.

Jane Frazier
River Bluffs Audubon
Jefferson City