WARNING: This message has originated from an External Source. Please use proper judgment and caution when opening attachments, clicking links, or responding to this email.

Dear MOBirders,

Below Iíve pasted the invitation for written remembrances of Brad Jacobs that appears on pages 53 and 54 of the June 2020 edition of The Bluebird. Please read the invitation for additional details regarding whatís being requested.

In short, if you would like your written remembrance included in the memorial to be published in the September 2020 edition of The Bluebird, please email your draft directly to me on or prior to July 15, 2020 at [log in to unmask]

And, if you have not done so already, please consider making a donation to the Missouri Conservation Heritage Foundationís Migratory Bird Conservation Programs in honor of Brad. The link, which has already been shared with you via MOBirds, is also included below.

Thank you, and please donít hesitate to email me off list with questions.

Sincerely,
Pete

Pete Monacell,
Jefferson City

Brad Jacobs: An Invitation for Remembrances

On May 1, 2020, Missouriís birding community lost one of its most prominent members, Brad Jacobs. Brad has had an outsized influence on our community. In the late 1980s, birders across the state helped him to compile The Breeding Bird Atlas, and Bradís 2001 Missouri Department of Conservation book, Birds in Missouri, has become a fixture on many of our bookshelves. We got to know Brad in many ways, including at ASM/MBS meetings, through bumping into him in the field, and through his facilitation of identification workshops and bird surveys. We learned from his posts on the MOBIRDS listserv and admired his eBird checklists. Brad served our community as a member and chair of the Missouri Bird Records Committee and through leadership roles in both the Columbia Audubon Society and ASM/MBS. Whenever birders were out in the field with Brad, they benefitted from his extensive knowledge of field marks, vocalizations, and bird distributions. In 2017 and 2018, Brad put his expertise to use by completing two remarkable Missouri big years. He found and chased birds, and he frequently shared his sightings on MOBIRDS, the same forum through which so many members of our community have expressed sorrow over his passing. These members have reflected on Bradís work, knowledge, generosity, enthusiasm, and friendship. One theme that has already emerged is that birding with Brad was at once educational and validating; to Brad, birding was as much about human relationships as it was about birds.

We should celebrate Bradís tireless work on behalf of Missouriís migratory birds, work that he pursued as the State Ornithologist at the Missouri Department of Conservation. Brad was instrumental in the founding of the Association of Fish and Wildlife Agencies' Southern Wings Program, which facilitates state fish and wildlife agency participation in the conservation of migratory birds across their annual lifecycles (at breeding and nonbreeding sites, as well as during migration). And, he held leadership roles within Partners in Flight, a network of over 150 agencies and organizations across the Western Hemisphere engaged in multiple aspects of landbird conservation, including science, planning, policy development, land management, education, and more. To learn more about these conservation initiatives, and to help to keep them funded, you can make a memorial donation to the Missouri Conservation Heritage Foundationís Migratory Bird Habitat Conservation Programs account by visiting https://mochf.org/remembering-brad-jacobs/.

I invite you now to join in celebrating Bradís life through your own written remembrances. Remembrances should be emailed no later than July 15 to Pete Monacell at [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>, preferably as Microsoft Word documents. Contributions will be edited and compiled into a single, longer tribute to appear in the September 2020 edition of The Bluebird. A good length for these remembrances would be 300 words (comprising about one page in The Bluebird) or less. However, they may be longer if you choose. Any questions about this memorial project may be addressed to Pete at the email address above.

Thank you in advance for your contributions, which will help to memorialize Bradís extraordinary legacy.

CANCELED - MBS Spring Meeting: May 1-3, 2020 in Cape Girardeau, MO - CANCELED
Details and online registration FOR FUTURE MEETINGS at: http://www.mobirds.org/ASM/Meetings.aspx