We’ve been creating habitat for birds, bees and butterflies on our property for 8 years now, with lots of native plants, with many berry-producing.  Over the last couple years, we’ve planted american elderberry, which reportedly attract indigo buntings.

We typically see a few indigo buntings during spring migration, but they’ve never stayed during the summer.  Last year, we had 1 male in the back of our yard that I 1st heard, then located, on June 13.  Over the last couple weeks this year, I’ve tried to listen for and locate it, but wasn’t successful - oh well!

Yesterday (June 11), I heard an indigo bunting in a completely different area and managed to locate it and get some photos.

This morning (June 12), I heard that bunting again, but then a 2nd one in the same area as last year and was able to locate it and get some photos.

My question is “are indigo buntings late nesters, compared to other migrants”?  I think it’s interesting that I’ve only started to hear them singing during the 2nd week of June, both this year and last year.

Photos of both at:
flickr.com/photos/dgetman/sets

Separately, as I was locating the 2nd bunting, I was repeatedly divebombed by a pair of tree swallows in a nearby nest box, despite being at least 25 yards away and they kept it up until I was probably 50 yards away.  We’ve had tree swallows in our nest boxes for years, but this is the most aggressive I’ve experienced.

Dan Getman, Kirksville, northeast MO