The Neotropic cormorant Peter Kondrashev found at Horseshoe Lake on Monday, June 8th was still there this morning.  The bird is on private property & was viewed from Pettet Road.

When driving from east to west on Pettet, an open view to the south starts after the tree line along the north lake bank ends & the crop field begins.  From this vantage point, it was perched in a small dead tree in the line of willows in the water near the south (far) bank of the lake.  The small snag it seems to favor as a perch is about 20-30 yards from the left end of this "willow line".

Depending on where you park at the west end, the bird is anywhere from slightly left to slightly right of the Hwy. 59 railroad overpass that is visible in the distance.  Viewing angle from the road is to the south-southeast & viewing is more difficult as the morning progresses & the bird becomes more back lit.   The best light angle would be in the evening but haze & heat waves could be more of a problem at this time of day.

As it had done on my previous visit, it left the perch to feed, was below the lake surface more than above while doing so & when it was finished feeding, it returned to the same perch to preen & rest.  This bird is at some distance & it will be difficult to see the details without a spotting scope.

When it started feeding, I checked Muskrat Lake a quarter mile to the west where there were two Caspian terns, a Franklin's gull & 3 white-faced ibis.  The cattle egrets weren't there on my initial visit but 17 had returned when I went by later in the morning.

The scissor-tailed flycatchers continue on Hwy. KK off of Hwy. 59 (between Horseshoe Lake & Rushville).

Tom Nagel
Saint Joe