Well, after not birding for most of the last month (and missing most of the warblers, etc...), I finally got out...into the heat!!  I had a van appointment in St. Joseph at 10:00 so I headed to Lake Contrary beforehand and found the Yellow-Crowned Night heron Tom Nagel had reported.  Great viewing from just across the small pond...remarkable bird!  I then went to Muskrat lake and found 53 Cattle Egrets and a White-faced Ibis. Now, you may laugh but I was most excited about the W. Meadowlark calling on a fence post nearby.  I just haven't been hearing any around Smithville Lake and the other areas I bird like I have in the past.

After the work on my van was finished, I headed to Loess Bluffs NWR and arrived around 12:30 or so.  I  put all the windows down and headed around the refuge for around the next 4 hours....heat index had to be nearly 100 degrees!!  Poor time of the day to bird but I was able to watch a Least Bittern fly a very long distance out in Eagle Pool.  Nine Black Terns were also cruising around along with seeing a singe Forester's/Common Tern?  Back on Mallard Marsh, I scoped through 28 Great Egrets and found a single Snowy Egret.

I ended the day at the refuge with nearly 60 species...and it was very hot...but after being too busy to get out this last month....I was still very appreciative for the sweaty afternoon of birding!!

Terry L. Miller
Plattsburg, MO

Follow me on Instagram: terryl.miller

"Ever since the creation of the world his invisible nature, namely his eternal power and deity, has been clearly perceived in the things that have been made."  Romans 1:20