Our two White Mulberry trees' fruit production is peaking now, with many, many ripe berries to be plucked (and more on the lawn below). We tolerate the temporary mess for all the bird traffic they bring. We especially love hearing the calls of Cedar Waxwings when a flock descends on the bounty.

Just now, I was surprised to see an American Crow land in the top of one tree and immediately start plucking all the ripe berries within reach. When those were gone, it hopped to another branch and repeated the routine. I verified through binoculars that the bird was choosing only ripe fruit, and swallowing each berry as it was pulled from its stem. There's always something new to learn about birds!

Lanny Chambers
Fenton, MO