Well, after not birding for most of the last month (and missing most of the
warblers, etc...), I finally got out...into the heat!!  I had a van
appointment in St. Joseph at 10:00 so I headed to Lake Contrary beforehand
and found the Yellow-Crowned Night heron Tom Nagel had reported.  Great
viewing from just across the small pond...remarkable bird!  I then went to
Muskrat lake and found 53 Cattle Egrets and a White-faced Ibis. Now, you
may laugh but I was most excited about the W. Meadowlark calling on a fence
post nearby.  I just haven't been hearing any around Smithville Lake and
the other areas I bird like I have in the past.

After the work on my van was finished, I headed to Loess Bluffs NWR and
arrived around 12:30 or so.  I  put all the windows down and headed around
the refuge for around the next 4 hours....heat index had to be nearly 100
degrees!!  Poor time of the day to bird but I was able to watch a Least
Bittern fly a very long distance out in Eagle Pool.  Nine Black Terns were
also cruising around along with seeing a singe Forester's/Common Tern?
Back on Mallard Marsh, I scoped through 28 Great Egrets and found a single
Snowy Egret.

I ended the day at the refuge with nearly 60 species...and it was very
hot...but after being too busy to get out this last month....I was still
very appreciative for the sweaty afternoon of birding!!

Terry L. Miller
Plattsburg, MO

www.millerstaxidermy.net

Follow me on Instagram: terryl.miller

"Ever since the creation of the world his invisible nature, namely his
eternal power and deity, has been clearly perceived in the things that have
been made."  Romans 1:20