What a wonderful Woodduck sight.  I wish you could have captured a video.
Marge

Get Outlook for Android

From: Missouri Wild Bird Forum <[log in to unmask]> on behalf of Dianne & Steve Kinder <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Wednesday, April 29, 2020 11:51:30 AM
To: [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Swan Lake NWR, Tuesday, Chariton Co.

I found many new arrivals yesterday in the Swan Lake area. Common Yellowthroats and Dickcissels back in force, also other back songbirds including Vireos, Orioles, Grosbeaks, Catbirds, and more. More shorebirds starting to use the new wetland areas in the middle of the refuge, including Yellowlegs, Dowitchers, Phalaropes, Dunlin, Spotted Sandpiper, and other Peeps. Observed couple dozen Forester's Terns and Two Caspian Terns there also. I walked the field on the west side of that area and did not find any Lapland Longspurs for the first time since the Jan 1st CBC. Enjoyed hearing Horned Lark and Savannah Sparrow singing there though.Good number of Northern Shovelers, other dabbling Ducks, Pelicans, Cormorants, and Great Egrets also present. Found a pair of Sandhill Cranes back in a marsh at another area where they nested a few years ago, so probably are again. Bunch of Soras there too.
  I had taken a walk at Pershing SP before going on down to Swan Lake. Lots of returning birds there as well. Fun listening to Wood Thrush, Great-crested Flycatchers, White-eyed Vireo, Prothonotary, Parula, and Yellow-throated Warblers again! Heard Red-shouldered Hawk and Fish Crow too. Maybe best thing though was watching pair of Wood Duck with 20+ very small babies following them through the undergrowth of the forest!

Later,
Steve Kinder