I knew it was going to be a good day for birding when I stepped out of the house in Adair Co.  and heard a Bewick's wren singing in the backyard at first light. A brief stop in Linn Co. at the intersection of Hwys 11 and 129 produced a couple of Prairie Sandpipers, a Henslow's and several Grasshopper sparrows. All of a sudden a Chuck-wills-widow called in broad daylight.
Loess Bluffs NWR produced 86 species, but no rarities. 15 species of shorebirds, including a Willet, 1 Hudsonian Godwit, 3 Black-necked stilts, 23 American Avocets, and others. Low numbers, peeps still no here en masse. Also Marsh wren, Lincoln sparrow, and Palm warbler.
Sailboat Cove at Smiithville Lake (Clay Co.) was very busy with people and boats, but after some looking revealed a beautiful breeding-plumage Red-throated Loon that has been reported for couple days from this location. Also present 3 of the 4 Common loons were in breeding plumage.
Another great day in Missouri,
Happy birding,
Peter

--