We are being asked across the United States to stop all driving (and to stay at home) except for what is essential.  Essential is defined across the board as food, grocery, pharmacy, emergency medical care, care of the vulnerable, and going to an essential job.

All across the world, it is common knowledge at this point that continuing to drive your car to birding destinations (and other non-essential activities) puts you and others in our communities at risk.

Maybe we might want to consider the pandemic as an opportunity to share stories of birding without a car, birding creatively and locally in our backyards, out our windows, walking in a parkway, at a local park, whatever.  Maybe now is the time to find birds near home and really appreciate them.

So many people are putting their lives at risk for all of us - medical, food, and delivery service workers, to name just a few. Maybe we might consider helping to flatten the curve of this pandemic by making a commitment to not drive anywhere to engage in birding. We could make this sacrifice in the name of all those people sacrificing for us.  Don't drive non-essentially.  Save a life.

Stay safe.

Andrew Reago

St. Louis MO