We are being asked across the United States to stop all driving (and
to stay at home) except for what is essential. Essential is defined
across the board as food, grocery, pharmacy, emergency medical care,
care of the vulnerable, and going to an essential job.
All across the world, it is common knowledge at this point that
continuing to drive your car to birding destinations (and other
non-essential activities) puts you and others in our communities at
risk.
Maybe we might want to consider the pandemic as an opportunity to
share stories of birding without a car, birding creatively and locally
in our backyards, out our windows, walking in a parkway, at a local
park, whatever. Maybe now is the time to find birds near home and
really appreciate them.
So many people are putting their lives at risk for all of us -
medical, food, and delivery service workers, to name just a few. Maybe
we might consider helping to flatten the curve of this pandemic by
making a commitment to not drive anywhere to engage in birding. We
could make this sacrifice in the name of all those people sacrificing
for us. Don't drive non-essentially. Save a life.

Stay safe.
Andrew Reago
St. Louis MO