Sarah's answer and link and Kevin's app are great tools.  I'd like to elaborate a bit on Sarah's excellent explanation of the alpha code, by listing some of the most notable exceptions--exceptions that don't tend to pop into mind when you are looking at a bird.

For two-word names, as Sarah explained, when the usual two letters from each would apply to more than one species:

Most notable is our ubiquitous Carolina Wren.  There are two others, even though unlikely to be seen in Misouri, so:
CARW = Carolina Wren, CACW = Cactus Wren, CANW = Canyon Wren

Others of note:

NSHO = Northern Shoveler, NSHR = Northern Shrike (NOT NOSH as used recently by one of the state's most learned birders)

TRES = Tree Swallow, TRUS = Tundra Swan

There are more, but this is enough to think through and get used to.

Bodacious safe, healthy birding and practice compassion,

Edge Wade
Columbia, MO