In our opinion, Andrew Reago's post was thoughtful, relevant, and entirely appropriate for this listserve. Birding does not exist in a vaccuum; it affects and is affected by so many other factors from global pandemics to individual choices. We experience birding not as an end unto itself, but as a window into the fascinating and complex ecological network that cannot be separated from humans and our choices. We hope this forum can continue to be a place where people can respectfully discuss both direct birding experiences and the broader context.

Eric & Joanna Reuter
Boone County, MO