For those of you who are staying at home to bird, here are a few suggestions that may help make it more interesting.

Put out a small birdbath in shade, near shrubs or small trees. Add a dripper and you may be surprised at the migrants that come to it. One online option is this: https://www.backyardnatureproducts.com/bird-baths/accessories-2/drippers-misters

Check on hummingbird sightings at Journey North. Unfortunately, Lanny Chambers is no longer keeping the migration map, but directs us to this link:  https://maps.journeynorth.org/map/?year=2020&map=hummingbird-ruby-throated-first

Use some of that pent up frustration to pull out that honeysuckle that has been on your to do list.

Learn about some of the native plants best for your zip code to plant in the fall. The most informative website is the National Wildlife Federation' Plant Finder. Why? Because Doug Tallamy has worked directly with them to include the number of Lepidoptera (moth and butterfly caterpillars) that each genus of plants hosts. The higher the number of 'Leps' the more highly  functional the plant is for our native birds. The BEST plants are KEYSTONES in our ecosystems, such as Oaks.
https://www.nwf.org/NativePlantFinder/

Email me if you'd like a free pdf copy of my recently updated handout:
Resources on Sustainable Naturescaping and Our Native Birds

FWIW, we have been in self-isolation here since March 8 to help flatten the curve of the 'beast'.

Safe birding to all!
Margy Terpstra
Kirkwood, St. Louis CO, MO
hummerhavenunltd.com