The bird species' numbers, in many cases, are plummeting. Green
birding is not a new idea, but a green collective state big year might
be.
THE IDEA: What if, as an alternative to individual state big years,
folks engaged in a different kind of Missouri big year. What if we
pooled our local sightings from our patches across the state on eBird
under a Green Collective Missouri Big Year category/name? What if we
birded carbon free and collectively?
HOW: What if we only contributed sightings to the Green Collective
Missouri Big Year that we found walking, biking, taking the bus or
other type of 'green' travel - no use of a car? To be a little less
restrictive, if you are disabled or hindered in some way I'm not
thinking about, what if you contributed sightings where you only drove
a car a 5-10 mile radius at most? What if for those who carpooled (4
people per car at the least), their radius could be 15 miles, but
limited to two reports a month? And what if once a month, you could
contribute a "special treat" report where you used a car for whatever
distance you choose, no limits?
The ideal would be to generate reports/sightings from carbon-free
birding with no car or fossil-fuel use at all, with car-birding
minimized. In the comments on the eBird report, you could note if you
walked, biked, bused, drove (if disabled) or carpooled (and how much
mileage). Car-birding (within a 5-15 mile radius) and carpooling
sightings would be limited to once a month. This is all brainstorming.

WHAT THIS MIGHT CONTRIBUTE TO:
This could be collective and cooperative. We could get excited about
what everyone was finding and contributing across the state and how
folks were finding innovative ways to bird green and how that was
promoting more of a sense of place.
This could be green - low carbon footprint.
This could mentor a new kind of birding for young folks.
We could bird where we could walk, run, bike, take a bus, carpool a
short distance, drive as a treat.
We could get to know each other in a new way.
We could, as a birding community, respond to the climate change
emergency in a collective and fun way.
(This could be done on a collective national level, too, if someone
wanted to organize that.)
Want to participate? Have ideas? Email my wife, Chrissy McClarren, at
Andy Reago
St. Louis MO