Modern Languages and Literatures Association

Annual Conference in Toronto, Canada, January 7-10, 2021

Deadline for submissions: March 15, 2020

Please see below three CFP German Literature and Culture pre 1700

1. Teaching the Medieval and Early Modern.

To support innovation in the field, we welcome contributions showcasing varied, playful, and accessible pedagogies that enliven the historical materials in our undergraduate German classrooms and create student interest. Advanced literature classes in German Studies can display articulation challenges when we transition from the colorful, heavily illustrated textbook-based approaches that emphasize personal reactions in the beginning language classes to literature and culture classes—especially those in historical fields--that are heavily text-based and focus on oral and written literary analysis, in the third and fourth year. We wish to foster a conversation about approaches to Medieval and Early Modern literature and culture that supports practitioners, many of whom might not have colleagues in their field at their institution. Please send 150-word abstract, 50-word CV, and AV requirements to Karin Wurst ([log in to unmask]) and Alison Beringer ([log in to unmask]) by March 15, 2020.

2. Open Session in Pre-modern German Literature and Culture.

We invite papers on current research in German literature or culture before 1700. We are particularly interested in research that poses questions, explores topics, or uses theoretical frameworks that foreground new directions in the field. Scholars of all disciplines (including, but not limited to, literature, history, art history, religion, music, gender studies, media studies), and at all stages of their careers are encouraged to submit. Please send 150-word abstract, 50-word CV, and AV requirements to Karin Wurst ([log in to unmask]) and Alison Beringer ([log in to unmask]) by March 15, 2020.

Session for SCGRABL

3. Material Culture in Early Modern Germany.

We invite proposals for papers that focus on the nature and significance of materiality in early modern German culture. We welcome papers that discuss a wide range of objects and/or address a variety of human interactions with their physical environments. Papers might explore things sacred or profane that were acquired or discarded, displayed publicly or held privately, or might focus on social relationships, gender, or social status that are organized around goods. Papers should have a focus on textual evidence but may use a range of methodological and theoretical approaches. Please send 150-word abstract, 50-word CV, audio-visual requirements to Peter Hess ([log in to unmask]) and Karin Wurst ([log in to unmask]) by March 15, 2020.