Applications Open:

Please consider applying to our 2020 Summer Film Institute and accompanying film festival (May 31 - June 7).

Our weeklong interdisciplinary inquiry into Authority and Alterity in East German Movies: Political Experiments, Rebel Youth and Civil Unrest will be co-directed by Mariana Ivanova (UMass Amherst) and Seth Howes (Univ. of Missouri). The keynote lecture will be given by UK social historian Mark Fenemore (Manchester Metro. Univ.); he is the author of Sex, Thugs and Rock’n’Roll: Teenage Rebels in Cold-War East Germany (2007) and will spend the week at the Institute.

Focusing on GDR movies and media in relation to social and artistic expressions of alterity, authority and dissent, the Institute will explore representations of political experiments, "whistleblowers," youth rebellion and state authority—and their complex interplay—while remaining mindful of a historical context marked by political changes and a state that attempted to both undermine and re-appropriate reform impulses.

Please see our website for more information and application guidelines. In response to interest from abroad, we have moved the application deadline forward to March 1, 2020. (NB: Should this be too short notice for you at this point, please contact us.)

Please send your applications to Dr. Mariana Ivanova at: [log in to unmask]

--

Dr. Mariana Ivanova / she, her, hers

Associate Professor of German Film and Media

Academic Director, DEFA Film Library - https://ecommerce.umass.edu/defa/

German & Scandinavian Studies

509 Herter Hall

University of Massachusetts