On Thu, 9 Jan 2020 23:47:33 +0000, Materer, Timothy J. <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>One more thing, concerning what FD wrote in her blog about von Moritz rather than Marie Larisch,
>
>Given that the identification of Marie Larisch in the WL MS seems quite solid—specifically correcting a scholarly assumption that the source was her book by saying it was her in-person conversation--isn't is possible that "von Moritz" is not a separate person at all, but a minor error on Eliot's part, "von Moritz" for "von Moennich," Marie Larisch's actual name?
>
>What fun!   Tim

I say there were two Maries. Countess Marie did not come from Lithuania; she was the daughter of a Bavarian Duke and a cousin of Crown Prince Rudolf. And, when the Countess Marie divorced, technically she lost the title of Countess although she could retain her title of Baroness given to her in childhood (Freiin von Wallersee). Marie's greater title would follow her in infamy though.  At the time Eliot met Countess Marie she was married to a commoner, Otto Brucks, who worked in Metz. Marie was probably visiting in Munich at the time. Perhaps Eliot and Marie von Moritz were the two walking in the Hofgarten and while taking their coffee they attracted the attention of Countess Marie (or imposed upon her). Eliot's letter to Hale possibly is identifying just the speaker of the line written in German. At any rate it doesn't seem terribly important to the poem whether we have one speaker here or two.

Incidently, the following webpage has a number of pictures of the infamous Marie:
http://mariaroyalcollection.blogspot.com/2014/02/baroness-marie-von-wallersee-countess.html

Regards,
   Rick Parker