Eliot was a great poet, partly because he experienced depths of many kinds. He was not a great man.

I have not been at all surprised by the letters. We all already knew how he abandoned her; this is the same attitude.

Geoffrey Faber called him Jekyll and Hyde. There was always a reason. But I have also always seen his work and life as divided. I hope this will end any idealizing of the man.

Nancy