Wow! A new context to Wagner in The Waste Land.

                      Frisch weht der Wind
                      Der Heimat zu
                      Mein Irisch Kind,
                      Wo weilest du?

[Fresh blows the wind from home
My Boston child (Emily/Tom)
Where are you lingering?]

“You gave me hyacinths first a year ago;
“They called me the hyacinth girl.”
—Yet when we came back, late, from the Hyacinth garden,
Your arms full, and your hair wet, I could not
Speak, and my eyes failed, I was neither
Living nor dead, and I knew nothing,
Looking into the heart of light, the silence.

Oed’ und leer das Meer.

[Desolate and empty the sea that stretches between Boston and London.]

CR