Wow! A new context to Wagner in The Waste Land.

                      *Frisch weht der Wind*

*                      Der Heimat zu*

*                      Mein Irisch Kind,*
*                      Wo weilest du?*

*[Fresh blows the wind from home*
*My Boston child (Emily/Tom)*
*Where are you lingering?]*

“You gave me hyacinths first a year ago;
“They called me the hyacinth girl.”
—Yet when we came back, late, from the Hyacinth garden,
Your arms full, and your hair wet, I could not
Speak, and my eyes failed, I was neither
Living nor dead, and I knew nothing,
Looking into the heart of light, the silence.

*Oed’ und leer das Meer.*

*[Desolate and empty the sea that stretches between Boston and London.]*

CR