Hello Pete,

Thanks for the considered response, both this one below and the one you made to Nancy, they give me along with the Guardian articles, CR's declarations, and Frances Dickey's reports, a lot to chew on, including that I will never again be able to look at canapes in the same way...

As you astutely modified Nancy's good point, let me modify yours of the first sentence in the same way: whether you've crashed and burned a lot or not makes no difference in the condition which one is observing -- judging needs to take a back seat for a while, perhaps indefinitely. At the moment, I see a lot rushing, not from you but in general, but I'll wait to say much more besides this one thing: the difference between 1947 and 1956 strikes me as rather large. As much because of his voluminous declarations leading up to 1947 as in spite of them, the rejection of marriage at that point seems much more significant than what people want to ascribe  to it. I suppose the post-1947 letters may give that more context. If I were at Princeton I'd jump ahead to those dates.

The reports I hear about the Australian wildfires are so extreme, I have to ask whether you are feeling those effects where you are? I'm looking at an online map of Australia this morning, and the extent and intensity of the fires portrayed is beyond sobering.

Regards,
Ken A