D U K E - S T A N F O R D
P H I L O S O P H Y & L I T E R A T U R E  G R A D U A T E  C O N F E R
E C E
M A Y  8 - 9 , 2 0 2 0
S T A N F O R D  U N I V E R S I T Y
K E Y N O T E S P E A K E R S :
C A R O L I N E  L E V I N E ( C O R N E L L ) / J A N  Z W I C K Y ( V
I C T O R I A )

I N  &  O U T  O F  C O N T E X T

In “What is New Formalism?,” a state-of-the-discipline essay published
in PMLA in 2007, Marjorie Levinson retraces the decades-long debate
between formalism and  historicism. Her overview presents a microcosm of
literary studies by showing the  different methods, values, and aims
that guide our ideas and practices. She cites  a diverse set of
ambitions in the field: to defend the literary, to sustain our sense  of
shared humanness, to awaken our somatic self awareness, to stimulate
our  sense of wonder, to help us realize the non-centrality of the
subject-position, to  reassert the artwork’s critical and self-critical
agency, to unveil the text as a  projection of ideology, to denounce
aesthetic mystification. To this list we could  add more, such as
exploring the mechanisms of private and public memory and  redressing
historical wrongs.

What all these programs for literary studies have in common is their
reliance on a  certain interpretive use of context. The occasional
virulence of the quarrel  between formalism and historicism suggests
that there are words, on the one  hand; a non-verbal reality, on the
other; and in-between, the scholar’s capacity to  tell them apart. In
reality, the recent proliferation of literary methodologies (distant
reading, surface reading, reparative reading, formative reading, the
new  formalism at the center of Levinson’s piece...) shows that the
parsing out of texts  and contexts, of the verbal and the non-verbal, of
forms and history is informed, if  not dictated, by interpretive
decisions from beginning to end. While this fact may  not entirely
dissolve the oppositions mentioned above, it does require an
acknowledgement. What we mean by context shapes the contours of our
objects  of study, delineates what they can or cannot do, and what we
can do with them as  scholars, teachers, private individuals, and
citizens. Hence the ethical and political pressures to put contexts to
good use or to ban them from our readings.

The epistemological centrality of context extends beyond literary
disciplines. In  addition to designating the circumstances of production
and reception of a textual  artifact, context also refers to a broader
structure in terms of which the conditions  of meaning can be identified
and understood. Jeff Speaks writes for the Stanford  Encyclopedia of
Philosophy that “questions about context-sensitivity are  important, not
just for semantics, but for many areas of philosophy. And that is
because some of the terms thought to be context-sensitive are terms
which play a  central role in describing the subject matter of other
areas of philosophy.” Philosophers have appealed to context to supply
the conditions of possibility of  meaningfulness, be it the
meaningfulness of a word within a sentence (Frege), of  an intentional
action embedded in the chain of thoughts and motion (Anscombe),  or of
sensory stimulation within the habits of an organism (Merleau-Ponty).
Now  more than ever, philosophers like Richard Moran, Robert Brandom,
Michael Strevens, and Sally Haslanger demonstrate a turn towards context
to understand  their objects of investigation such as knowledge, belief
systems, scientific facts, responsibility, and emancipation.

Debates in literary studies and philosophy home in on the constructive
power of  contexts. But literature and the arts have been exploiting the
subversive and  critical power of their neutralization and replacement
for over a century. From the artist’s perspective, contexts are as
essential as they are fungible, dispensable.  Decontextualization and
recontextualization have become creative acts in their  own right.
Montage in film and literature, collage in the visual arts, sampling in
music, and related forms such as palimpsests and pastiches all
experiment with
the malleability of contexts. Once sampled in a rap track the sound of
jazz may  not connote free expression, but the existence of an
alternative cultural archive.  Ready-mades are unthinkable without the
conviction that contexts can and should  be substituted.

This conference asks what can we do and what ought we to do with
contexts in our disciplines, in art, and in life? We invite papers
presenting methodological reflections on these issues, as well as
interventions about cultural productions that engage formally or
thematically with context and its many negations. The conference is open
to graduate students in all literary, philosophical, and artistic
disciplines. It also welcomes participants from media and cultural
studies and from interdisciplinary programs. Possible fields of inquiry
include, but are not limited to:

  * Writing, rewriting, adaptation, pastiche, and parody .
  * The role of context in the establishment of lingustic categories,
    such as meaning and reference.
  * How we understand the relation between form and context.
  * How the contexts of scholarship influence its outcomes.
  * How we understand the role of context in situations of performance,
  * Where we set the limit for ‘minimal’ context, and what the
    implications are of this choice.
  * The ethics of contextualization / decontextualization.

Please submit a 250-word abstract by February 10, 2020 to
[log in to unmask] with a short bio, all in one Word
document. Applicants will hear from the organizers by mid-February.
Presentations are expected to last 20 minutes and be delivered in
person. The conference will be held on May 8-9, 2020 at Stanford
University. Limited funds are available to help presenters with their
travel and lodging expenses. If you think  you need assistance, please
state so on your application. This will not impact the evaluation of
your application, nor is funding guaranteed should you be accepted.

Inquiries should be directed to [log in to unmask]