I was birding with my sister at Eagle Bluffs Conservation Area yesterday, and we noticed dozens of sparrow/lark-sized birds flying together across the fields of Pool 1. We determined that the group—or at least the vast majority of them—were American Pipits. We believe there were over 100 of them, which is currently the highest eBird count of them for Boone County. They were on the Pool 1 side of the first loop road, closer to the junction with the main road than the flooded area of the pool where egrets and yellowlegs have often been found lately. Chelsea has some photos that she may upload later.

Also at EBCA today:

We finally found a couple of Wilson's Snipes for the first time this fall. We saw some regularly in Pool 8 last year, but new vegetation in that pool is either going to make the habitat less favorable or just make them harder to see.  I don't know whether it will stay or if it will die and decompose in winter or be trimmed down.

And more and more ducks—the vast majority of them being several hundred Mallards. Many were scattered along the distribution channel and many more were concentrated in Pools 5 and 11. Saw a few Shovelers, Gadwalls, Pintails,  and one Ring-necked Duck in the roadside stream in western Pool 5 again.

Josh M
Boone County

MBS Spring Meeting: May 1-3, 2020 in Cape Girardeau, MO Details and Online Registration