I found an American Bittern at the west part of Pershing State Park at the Zell Tract. It was in same area where one spent the Winter a couple of years ago. Had good variety of Sparrows, including Fox and Harris's, plus a Marsh Wren and couple of Sedge Wrens too. Saw a Shrike fly off as I was leaving. Spotted where it landed in a distant tree, but by the time I got ready to get scope on it, it had moved and could not relocate.
Witnessed a HUGE flock of Blackbirds just north of Fountain Grove CA as I was making my way back home. They were feeding in and around a soybean field that was being harvested. I estimated 100,000 birds, mostly Common Grackles, but mixed with Red-winged Blackbirds, Brown-headed Cowbirds, and European Starlings. Could have been others, but could only see a small percentage of them up close,as they swirled and moved around. Pretty Cool!
Awesome Autumn!Steve KinderChillicothe, Livingston [log in to unmask]