Yesterday Tom Parmeter and I visited the landfill and borrow pit area adjacent to Horseshoe Lake, Madison Co., IL.  We stood at a lookout point on the west end of the main pond (outside the company gate) and scoped down to the other end where the gulls come and go on the water -- a long distance. Out of at least 2000 Ring-bills present in the area, there is already a good number of Herring Gulls of all ages, plus some Franklin's. We had a single "Thayer's" Iceland Gull, first cycle (a very early one), and at least three Lesser Black-backs including two adults and a first-cycle, but there may well have been more. The first-cycle birds require time and persistence in order to see all the relevant features and be sure, since young Thayer's and Lesser Black-back are quite variable, and young Herrings are variable too and can resemble either of them. List with details is on eBird at https://ebird.org/checklist/S61181301.

Bill Rowe

St. Louis

MBS Spring Meeting: May 1-3, 2020 in Cape Girardeau, MO Details and Online Registration