The ST. LOUIS AUDUBON SOCIETY is sponsoring a field trip this Saturday to
Shaw Nature Reserve in Franklin County.

DATE:  Saturday, November 9, 2019

MEETING TIME:  8:00 a.m.

MEETING PLACE:  The semi-circle parking lot across from the Visitor Center
at the entrance to SNR.  We'll be hiking from the parking lot so it's best
to not use up the temporary parking slots in front of the VC.  You'll find
me up at the parking lot which is only a few yards from the VC.

DIRECTIONS:  From St. Louis take I-44 west to the hwy 100 exit at Gray
Summit, MO.  At the top of the ramp turn left at the traffic light, cross
the interstate, then right on westbound hwy 100.  Entrance to SNR is
immediately on the left.

PLAN:  This is planned to be a 1/2 day trip but it might extend past lunch
some if the birding is good.  We'll be hiking from the parking lot on
well-groomed trails for a total distance of about 4 miles.  There will be
changes in elevation but they're gradual and walking is easy.  Our path will
take us through the pinetum, down the Brush Creek Trail, across the prairie,
through the Dana Brown camp, along the wetland, past the Serpentine Wall,
Wolf Run Lake and finally back to our starting point.  The hike is designed
to take us through a variety of habitats where we hope to find birds of the
season plus residents.  Last year we tallied 47 species including 5 of
raptor, Golden-crowned Kinglet, Red-breasted Nuthatch, Winter and Sedge Wren
plus lots of Carolina, multiple Hermit Thrush, 10 of sparrow and, of course,
lots of woodpeckers.  There are proper toilets at the VC but none along our
hike so plan accordingly.  As it's a 1/2 day trip no formal lunch stop is
planned; bring your own food and drink to suit.

Follow this link to find a map of SNR:

https://bit.ly/2Drpkew

PARTICIPATION:  Everyone is welcome, SLAS members and non-members.

LEADER:  Mike Thelen

COST:  The field trip is free; however, SNR charges a nominal entrance fee.
The fee is waived for members of the Missouri Botanical Garden.  Whether you
are a member of the MBG or not please be sure to check-in with the desk
inside the VC.  If the VC isn't open at 8 a.m. SNR asks that you use either
the sign-in sheet or pay "through the door."  The front gate at SNR opens at
8 a.m. and closes at 5:00 p.m.

MORE INFO:  Contact me or visit www.stlouisaudubon.org

This is a great opportunity to get away from the cars, hike on what is
forecast to be a splendid fall day and, most of all, enjoy the birds on one
of the region's most beautiful areas.

Mike Thelen
Univ City, StL Cnty, MO

MBS Spring Meeting: May 1-3, 2020 in Cape Girardeau, MO