Also an Eared Grebe in the center of the lake.

Distinguishing from Horned Grebe makes this a difficult ID, especially in transitional plumage such as this bird was showing. Look for a thin, dusky neck and pointed, slightly upturned bill with no white on the tip. The peak of the head tends to appear over the eye, or close to over the eye, as opposed to at the rear of the head—but this is a suggestive field mark that should not be used on its own as the basis for an ID. In other words, observers must note multiple characteristics before identifying a grebe as Eared. Photos will be on eBird later.

We saw no Horned Grebes on the water today, but numerous Pied-Bill Grebes.

Pete

Sent from my iPhone