Eliot also published Djuna Barnes's Nightwood when no one else would.

But he also edited out a great deal. I once spent days reading the original mss. in the Maryland library--with Eliot's marks and comments and cuts--, and his cuts altered the book in serious ways. She nonetheless was very appreciative of the fact that he published it and praised it in the "Introduction."

He later, though, wrote a very unenthusiastic intro to her next book, and she felt betrayed.

So he had a somewhat mixed history with gay literature.

I have thought about his extreme reaction to Peters's article on him being gay himself (whether he was or not), and I think it essential to remember that homosexuality was illegal in England until 1967. In 1952 it could have ruined him I assume. His friends in Bloomsbury, though, were generally not shocked or even negative about it.
Nancy