Call for Papers: 45th Conference of the Coalition of Women in German
University of the South, Sewanee Tennessee
October 15-18, 2020

Universal Design for Learning (UDL) as/and Feminist Pedagogy in the German Curriculum

Universal Design for Learning (UDL) is a framework that builds flexibility into the educational context to accommodate different types of learners. This framework has been built around cognitive and neuroscience insights into how humans learn in order to improve and optimize teaching and learning for all people. UDL assumes that any barrier to learning lies in the design of the environment and not the learner. Much work in UDL centers on the “plus one” approach: building flexibility into the classroom by adding an additional option for assessments, for example, or adding another mode of interacting with or representing course material.

Meanwhile, feminist pedagogical theory focuses on decentering the authority in the classroom and empowering each students to take responsibility for their own learning. Feminist pedagogy operates on the following six fundamental principles: relationship between teacher and student, empowerment, community building, privilege of voice, respect for diverse personal experiences, and challenging traditional learning ideals.

This panel will inverstigate the connections, tensions, and overlaps between UDL and feminist pedagogical practice. Proposals might address the following questions: how can implemementing UDL support feminist pedagogy? In other words, how do the ideas of UDL build inclusivity and equity into the classroom? What does UDL look like in our German courses—from beginning language to graduate courses? How can the ideas of UDL make our classrooms and our course materials more accessible? How might this accessibility be viewed as “feminist”? What alternative forms of assessment might we consider that would both conform to UDL standards and be feminist? Can we move from individual accommodations to a more inclusive idea of universal design—and if so, how?

Please send a 250-400 word abstract to all three panel co-organizers by February 15, 2020:

Ester Gonzalez Martin ([log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]>)
Angineh Djavadghazaryans ([log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]>)
Britt Abel ([log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]>)