From 6:00PM - 7:30PM, 1000s of American White Pelicans poured into the
pool just west of the headquarters. What an amazing site! We'd never
see this many in one place before. 10,000 is a conservative estimate.
WOW!
This same pool had some mudflats that had attracted numerous
shorebirds: peeps (mostly Least, a few Baird's), numerous Long-billed
Dowitchers, a Black-bellied Plover (we made sure to look for the black
armpits in flight), 18 American Golden Plovers, a single Black-necked
Stilt, a few Stilt Sandpipers, a Spotted Sandpiper, Pectoral
Sandpipers, Greater and Lesser Yellowlegs, plus an assortment of duck
species and others delights. A small group of Greater White-fronted
Geese showed up, as well as a Sandhill Crane flew in late in the day.
Andy Reago
St. Louis MO